Saturday, May 7, 2011

{Book Review} "Heaven is for Real," Todd Burpo

My friend Shanon started a book club in November.  When she sent out the invite on facebook asking if anyone would be interested in joining I responded right away, YES!  I've always wanted to join a book club because I love to read and I love to socialize but when I pictured a "book club" all I could visualize was old ladies sitting around reading classics.  Not my idea of a good time.

This book club has turned out to be tons of fun!  The first few meetings we had I'm not sure we even discussed the books.  I'm hoping we add a little more book time is as the meetings progress as I'm interested in hearing others views on the books we are reading.  So far, I LOVE every book that we have read but then that makes me wonder, where they really good books or am I just an overall book lover and not a really good critic?  Check out our reading list below and let me know what you think! 

Since our first meeting in January we have read the following books:
"Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons," Lorna Landvik
"The Bean Trees," Barbara Kingsolver
"Like Water for Chocolate," Laura Esquivel

Our latest read was "Heaven is for Real," by Todd Burpo.  Here is a short synopses from Amazon.com

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

My Review
I thought this book was very inspiring and a confirmation of my faith.  The beginning of the book where they tell the story of the blonde haired, blue eyed little Colton I couldn't help but think about my own little blonde haired, blue eyed baby, Max.  It brought tears to my eyes to think about anything like what Colton went through happening to Max.  It was very emotional for me.  Then as the story progressed and I read Colton's descriptions of Heaven and realized how close to scripture they were I started to feel a little creeped out. It had to have been real.  My faith in Jesus has grown immensely over the years and I credit a dear friend for helping me get where I am but this book was reassuring that the path I am taking IS the right path.  I thought this book would give me comfort in knowing that some day I will see Jesus in Heaven but in all honesty it was a little eery to me.

In the end I loved the book.  I have already passed it on to others to read and would highly recommend it, especially to those wanting to know more about Jesus in Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment