Friday, May 6, 2011

Recipe: Pesto & Feta Stuffed Chicken

I cook a nice dinner almost every night.  The only nights I don't are when someone else invites us over, when one of us has an event and Fridays.  Fridays are pizza night and I make Luke order the pizza... I say it's so that I can have a break but really it's because for some reason I have a weird fear of ordering pizzas... no lie.

I don't like to make the same thing too often as I start to get sick of it and as a full time working mom I don't have much time to prepare something after work unless we want to eat at let's say... 8pm.  Therefore, quick and healthy meals are what I enjoy making and my husband is pretty open minded but does have a few things that I have learned over the years not to make.  These include: brown rice, wild rice, whole wheat pasta (actually any grain other than white rice), sweet potatoes, hummus, tofu and anything that would be listed as vegetarian or overly healthy.  I know vegetarians eat regular people food just not meat products but for some reason he has an idea that if it's "vegetarian" it must be gross.  This makes my job a little more difficult as I enjoy eating all of these things and yet find myself searching for new ways to make white rice, potatoes and pasta.

The other day I attempted to throw some peas into the white rice and when Luke took the lid off to serve himself he exclaimed "there are peas in this rice!"  He ate it and didn't say anything so I'm assuming it was OK.

Last night's recipe was from Alicia, my sister-in-law.  It was VERY easy to make and looks beautiful.  Luke ate it all and as I always do after I make something new I ask "is it worthy of making it again?"  His answer was yes.  Here is the recipe and steps to make this amazing dinner.

Pesto Feta Stuffed Chicken with Baked Potato and Spinach Salad
Chicken
1/2 Cup Feta Cheese (low fat or fat free)
2 Tbs Pesto (You can make your own which will cut back calories but to save time I purchased it pre-made)
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
3 Tbs Basil
2 Tbs Olive Oil (no need to measure you just need enough to coat your skillet)
Pepper

Potatoes
Russet or Sweet Potatoes
1 Tbs Butter

Salad
Spinach
Dried Cherries
Sliced Almonds
Light Vinegrette Dressing

Combine the pesto, feta cheese and some pepper in a bowl.


Next take the chicken and slice a pocket into the thickest side using a small knife.  Make sure not to cut all the way through.

Spoon stuffing mixture into the pocket of the chicken, close and secure each one with toothpicks.  Sprinkle each side of chicken breasts with pepper.  Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.  Once the pan is heated add the chicken and heat on medium heat, covered for 6-7 minutes per side.


While the chicken is cooking wash and dry your potatoes.  Cut the ends off and poke holes in the top.  (My mom is the one who taught me to cut the ends off, I think it helps them to cook faster, at least that's what she says)  Place them on a papertowel in the microwave and cook for about 10-11 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. (I have a baked potato button on my microwave so I just press that!)


Next prepare the salad by placing spinach into a salad bowel and topping it with dried cherries and sliced almonds (you can buy already sliced almonds at the grocery store to save you time.)  Toss with a light vinegrette.

Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the toothpicks and top with any remaining pesto/feta mixture.

Thats it!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment